Inventor Assistance Foundation
2014 – Present (1 year)Seattle WA
We provide global IP support for entrepreneurs, start-ups, and research institutes. No need for an in-house counsel or TTO - we provide handholding and support each step of the way. Our attorneys have at least 10 years experience and we specialize in advising and helping you define a comprehensive patent portfolio structured to your needs and prepare the patent applications and Patent Office interactions at 1/3 the price of a law firm.
Co-founder, General Counsel, and Director of Regulatory Affairs
Corinthian Ophthalmic, Inc
2010 – 2014 (4 years)Raleigh, NC
• Launched medical device company by securing first and second round financing from private investors;
• Working within strict budget constraints, created a patent portfolio over 40 provisional patent applications;
• Positioned the product for FDA and MDD approval by developing the organization’s policies, and framed the compliance arguments to ensure assignment by the FDA’s OCP to the CDER group.
GC and Chief IP Officer
June 2005 – January 2010 (4 years 8 months)Monroe, NC
• Established German State of Baden Wuertemberg as a future partner in high efficiency distribution transformers by presenting the efficiency benefits of amorphous metal transformers to members of the Environmental and Energy sector of the German State of Baden Wuertemberg;
• Positioned the company’s amorphous transformer design as the design of choice for a leading South Africa OEM to establish a joint development for the African sub-continent.
Senior Patent Counsel - Chief IP Officer
2001 – 2005 (4 years)Palo Alto, NC
• Resolved cultural conflict between US and German IP staff members by establishing new inter-departmental cooperation procedures;
• Quadrupled the ROI by increasing patent filings from 260 to 430 per year and halving the budget, while improving patent quality;
• Positioned SAP to close a global patent cross-license with Microsoft on highly favorable terms.
• Improved patent quality throughout the company by introducing focus groups and peer review sessions into the workflow;
• Streamlined sponsored research globally by implementing a template driven approach to dealing with universities;
• Introduced new policies for third party technology development by defining open source guidelines and establishing templates for the use of NDAs.
Arter & Hadden
1999 – 2001 (2 years)San Francisco, CA
• Led firm's Patent Department in San Francisco;
• Instituted interdepartmental client services program to leverage existing corporate client base;
• Improved trust and cooperation between the offices by creating high-tech advisory group;
• Served as second-chair in $100m patent infringement suit against major electronics OEM. •
1996 – 1999 (3 years)Santa Clara, CA
• Headed up the trademarks and licensing groups;
• Managed IP due diligence for the company’s 3 major M&A’s;
• Developed guidelines and company policies for dealing with trade secrets;
• Revised foreign patent filing strategy to expedite timeline to grant and reduce cost.